ISLA VISTA, Calif. - The men's and women's swimming team competed in a dual meet against the Gauchos of UC Santa Barbara on Saturday. Despite a late surge by the Tigers taking first in eight of their final nine events, UOP would eventually fall to UCSB by a final score of 284-184.
The Gauchos took eight of the first ten races to start off the meet but the Tigers made an impact having four of their swims place in the top three or better in each of their respective events.
While two relay wins and four individual wins would keep the score betweent the two teams interesting to close out the day, the Gauchos would end up with the victory.
In Case You Missed It:
- The Angel Alcala, Yahav Shahaf, Mason Miller, and Dylan Toy kicked off the day for Pacific earning first place in the men's 200 medley relay event (1:31.07). Alcala would have the fasest leadoff time in the event with 23.27.
- Alcala provided a lift for UOP winning the men's 100 backstroke with a time of 49.56. He would also go on to win the 200 back with a time of 1:49.06.
- Emma Frey finished among the top of the pack in the women's 100 backstroke clocking in a time of 57.47 for second place. Frey also swam solo in the 200 back event as the Washington native was just inches off a second place finish taking third for the Tigers with 2:04.49.
- Kelsey Lloyd stepped up big time for the Tigers on Saturday competing in four different events for the Orange and Black. The freshman swimmer took second in the 200 IM (2:11.45) and third in the 200 breaststroke (2:22.29). She would also record the second-fastest time by a Tiger in the 100 breast event (1:05.93)
- "Kelsey really held down the fort for us in the breaststroke events," Head Coach Pete Richardson stated. "We had a couple injuries and she was great"
- Brigid McNally won three events on the day in the 500 freestyle (4:58.52), 200 IM (2:07.60), and helped her relay team to first in the 400 freestyle relay (3:35.25).
Up Next For the Tigers:
- The women's team compete in another dual meet friendly against UC Davis scheduled for February 2nd.
- The meet between the two teams will be set 12:00 PM at Schaal Aquactics Center.
"We swam an okay meet today," Richardson said. "We got some things build on heading into Davis next week and we're excited to start testing for the conference championships."