PROVIDENCE, RI - The men's water polo team picked up two wins in their 2018 debut on Saturday. The Tigers secured a 18-7 victory over host No. 15 Brown University and a 17-7 win over No. 19 St. Francis Brooklyn at the Brown Bruno Classic.
Pacific vs. Brown- In Case You Missed It:
● Pacific got off to a hot start to begin the match. The Tigers tallied six goals and went on a 4-0 run to close out the first period.
● Two early goals by Colak in the first were answered by Brown to knot up the score at 2-2 with 4:03 to go in the first. It didn' take long for the Tigers to respond, however, leading 6-2 at the break and outscoring the Bears 12-5 in the final three periods of play.
● Peter J. Cutino Award finalist Luke Pavillard picked up where he left off last season powering the Tigers' offense with five goals in the match, a pair of goals in the first and final period.
● All-GCC First Team honoree Engin Colak also found the back of the net for Pacific driving in a pair of goals in the first and third period for four total on the day.
● Sophomore Eli Lule recorded two goals at the 1:23 and :46 mark to open up the lead, 9-4, closing out the second period.
● The Orange and Black scored the final three goals of the third quarter and the first two goals of the final frame to pull ahead 15-5 with 3:58 to play.
● Three freshman Tigers recorded their first career goals in Saturday morning's match.
● Bogdan Djerkovic registered his first goal in the final minute of the first period (1:34) expanding the Orange and Black's lead to 6-2.
● Freshman Aidan Jang opened up the fourth period with a 5:29 goal which added to the Tigers' lead, 14-5.
● Freshman Jonathan Cooper followed up Jang's score with a goal at the 3:58 mark.
Pacific vs. St. Francis Brooklyn- In Case You Missed It:
● The Tigers found some early adversity as St. Francis set the tone matching Luis Araya's match-opening goal scores with two goals of their own.
● Pacific responded, however, as Colak chipped in three unanswered goals to end the first period and another one to open up the second which gave the Orange and Black their first lead of the match at 6-2.
● The Tigers' defense kept St. Francis at a standstill, allowing just three goals for the Terriers through two periods.
● During this stretch, Pacific went on an 8-0 run heading into halftime with some steady breathing room. Pacific would hold on to their lead and never look back after that.
● Seven Tiger players recorded a goal in the final two periods of play, Djerkovic finding the back of the cage on two separate occasions.
● Pavillard and Colak matched each other with a team-five goals in their contests against Brown and SFB. Pavillard registered five against Brown and Colak also found the back of the net five times against Saint Francis.
● Jonathan Cooper, Bogdan Djerkovic, and Aidan Jang tallied in a goal in both of the matches for today. Cooper and Jang finished the day with two goals while Djerkovic leads all freshman on the team with three on the year.
Up Next For The Tigers:
● Pacific wraps up the Bruno Classic with a 7:00 AM PST match against M.I.T and 11:30 match against No. 11 Harvard.
● M.I.T is 0-1 on the year following a 13-9 loss to No. 20 Bucknell on Saturday. The Tigers beat M.I.T, 22-5, last season at the Davis Invitational.
● The last time the Orange and Black faced off against Harvard was during the 2016 season at the Bruno Classic. That year the Tigers took the match by a final score of 15-4.