FULLERTON, Calif. - The Pacific softball team took another doubleheader split in day two of the Fullerton Invitational. The Tigers tightroped pasted Idaho State, 5-3, in their first game on Saturday and fell late to the Aggies of Utah State, 5-1, to end the day.
The Tigers move to 2-2 on the season. Both Idaho State and Utah state move to 1-3 on the year.
Pacific vs. Idaho State - In Case You Missed It:
- Jessica Mabrey helped the Tigers get in a rhythm early as the freshman catcher drove in a pair of runs off a homer to left field in the top of the first. Mabrey would finish the day going 2-3 at the plate with a pair of RBI's.
- Idaho State chipped at the Tigers' lead however, scoring a run in the first and second to even up the ball game. The Bengals would eventually score a run in the bottom of the fourth to take their first lead of the game.
- Two singles by junior duo Hailey Reed and Bradi Kooyman as well as a walk by Madison Kahwaty loaded the bases for the Orange and Black in the top of the fifth. Caity Sung delivered a two-run single down to right field helping UOP regain the lead, 4-3.
- Madison Hopper came up big in the seventh inning delivering a shot to center field scoring Carly Lucchetti from second base off an RBI single. This gave the Tigers the insurance run they needed, up 5-3 on the Bengals.
- Bethany Hammer would pitch a complete game allowing just one run off six hits and three strikeouts.
- Mabrey's four RBI's for the weekend is the first time a freshman batter has logged at least three or more RBI in an opening weekend since 2017. Former Tiger Samantha Owen drove in three runs in UOP's season-opener at the Fullerton Invite in 2017.
- Sophomore Bethany Hammer's complete game would be just the second of her career. The Placerville, Calif. native also makes it 21 straight appearances with striking out a batter.
- Hailey Reed accounted for two of the Tigers' five runs versus Idaho State. The junior utility player currently has four runs scored for the weekend.
Pacific vs. Utah State - In Case You Missed It:
- The Tigers would be locked in a pitching duel with the Aggies combining for just three hits and no zero runs through the first four innings of play.
- A two-out Tiger rally in the bottom of the fifth would break Pacific's offensive drought as Talli Shepherd laced a single up the middle to bring Myka Sutherlin home for the 1-1 tie. The Tigers would snag three of their first four hits of the ball game with two outs in the inning.
- Hailey Reed dealt in her first official start of the season pitching a complete game and striking out 13 of the 31 batters she faced. Reed's 13 K's would be a career-high for the junior from Topeka, Kansas. Her previous career-high was eight strikeouts set exactly one year from today against Weber State.
- Utah State would tack on four runs in the top of the seventh to pull away for their first win of the season.
- Reed becomes just the sixth Tiger in Pacific softball history to record 13 or more strikeouts in a single game. The last time this happened was in 2008 when Pacific alumn and fellow Folsom, Calif. native Chelsea Engle tallied 13 K's against Saint Mary's.
- Myka Sutherlin registered her first career-hit off a single off a two-out single to right center in the bottom of the fifth. The freshman batter would go on to steal a base and score her first run in the same inning.
UP NEXT FOR THE TIGERS:
- The Tigers wrap up the weekend Sunday with the last game of the Titan Classic against hosts Cal State Fullerton.
- The Titans are currently 2-1 on the weekend, taking two wins against Idaho State and Buffalo while being shutout by Louisville, 9-0.
- Fullerton squares off against Utah State tonight at 5:30 PM.
TICKETS/TITAN CLASSIC INFO:
- Tickets to the Titan Classic games this weekend can be purchased online, or on gameday at the box office.
- Full day passes for the tournament are available for $12 for adults, $8 for seniors and $6 for youth.
- The entirety of the tournament will be streamed online by FloSoftball. A monthly or annual subscription and related fee is required to view the weekend's games.
- Live stats and social media coverage will also be available for each game of the Titan Classic.
For more on the Pacific Softball program, be sure to follow @PacificSoftball on Twitter and Instagram.