STOCKTON, Calif. - The women's volleyball team opened up their season with a 3-1 (23-25, 25-14, 26-28, 22-25) loss to New Mexico State Friday to open the Sun Devil Classic in Tempe, Ariz. Freshman Riley Patterson led the way for Pacific with a game-high 18 kills.
In case you missed it
- Pacific came back from a seven-point deficit in the first set to knot the score up with the Aggies at 17-17. Patterson scored on four of those occasions including three kills. The Tigers scored four-straight points after that point but New Mexico would counter with four of its own to take an eventual 25-23 set victory.
- The Tigers scored on three Aggie errors to take a 5-1 lead to open up the second set, but NMSU came back within two (7-5) after a 4-2 run. Pacific then won five-straight points to give the Tigers a comfortable 14-8 edge. With Kaitlyn Lines serving the Tigers scored five points at 21-14 to put the second set away.
- The Third set was another tight one with neither squad holding larger than a two-point lead until the Tigers won three straight points to take a 19-16 lead. The Aggies and Tigers battled back and forth and matched point-for-point at the 24th, 25th, and 26th points before New Mexico State snagged the set victory on a Pacific service ace and a kill by Aggies' Tatyana Battle.
- Despite being down two sets to one Pacific was showing its resilience, opening the fourth set, staying within one through the first 14 points. The Aggies went on a five point run that gave them what seemed to be a comfortable enough lead, but the Tigers answered back with one last push, coming back within two following a 9-5 run (24-22). Following a New Mexico State timeout, the Aggies put the match away on a kill by Lia Mosher.
- As a team, the Tigers were outstanding from behind the serving line, totaling eight service aces, and in the back row, out-passing the Aggies 59-45.
- Hanne De Schrijver was stellar on the day, dishing out 49 assists, her highest total since Sept. 16, 2017 when she dished out 52 in a four-set win over UC Santa Barbara.
- Lauren Cline hit a team-high .474 after connecting for 10 kills and committing just one error in 19 total swings.
- Patterson finished with 18 kills with just seven errors in 35 attempts for a .314 hitting percentage. In addition, she added eight digs, three service aces, three assists, and a block to her game totals.
- Kaitlyn Lines also finished with double-digit kills, smashing 15 on the afternoon.
- It was a combined effort from the back row with four players recording double digits in digs. Lines and Gabby Leo each totaled 13 digs, while De Schrijver collected 12 digs and Allison Denneman had 10 digs.
- Pacific will hit the court again tomorrow for their final two matches of the Sun Devil Classic. The Tigers will face UT-Arlington at 2:30 p.m. and tournament-host Arizona State at 7:00 p.m.
Tournament matches can be viewed on the PAC-12 Network. Live stats links are also available by visiting the Pacific Volleyball schedule page.
Fans, be sure to follow Pacific women's volleyball on Twitter (@PacificVball) and on Instagram at pacificvolleyball.
In addition, fans can download the Pacific Tigers App, which is available for both IOS and android devices. Once you have downloaded the App you can select your favorites and receive up to date notifications on releases and scores.