DAVIS, Calif. - The women's water polo team traveled up to UC Davis and took a 20-6 victory in their first match of the season against Fresno Pacific on Saturday.
The Tigers cruised to their double-digit win as four Tigers recorded a hat trick in the contest including three four-goal performances by Viktoria Szmodics, Truly Dorland, and Savannah Fitzgerald. Pacific improves to 1-0 on the year while the Sunbirds drop two matches (0-2) to close out the Aggie Invite.
Pacific vs. Fresno Pacific - In Case You Missed It:
- Pacific jumped out to a 10-2 run heading into two quarters of play and never looked back.
- The Tigers displayed their offensive prowess in Saturday's match as seven different players registered a goal.
- The Orange and Black also distributed the ball efficiently having 13 of their 20 total points come off an assist.
- Viktoria Szmodics would lead the way for UOP with a game-high seven points, four goals and three assists. The senior captain would tie her career-high in total points with 7.
- As a team, UOP shot lights out from the field, 20-36 for the game, while holding the Sunbirds to just 6-25 shooting.
- The Tigers got things going early as Truly Dorland (scored in the opening minute and Szmodics scored at the 4 minute-mark to take a 2-0 lead over the Sunbirds.
- FPU would respond with a goal but UOP would counter with three of their own as Fitzgerald (3:26) scored and Brianna Utas (:30) and Lucy Davis (:09) clinched late-second goals to keep UOP ahead. Those would be the first collegiate goals for the freshman pair Utas and Davis.
- Five different Tigers found the back of the net in the period.
- Pacific applied the pressure in the opening frame, forcing seven turnovers.
- After a Sunbird goal at the seven-minute mark, the Orange and Black would hold Fresno to a scoreless second frame.
- Pacific would pour in an additional five goals before the half as the Tigers led 10-2.
- Szmodics reached her first hat trick of the season by the end of the break, leading all Tiger scorers at that point.
- UOP had four of their five goals come off an assist in the frame.
- The Sunbirds would be limited to just one goal in the third period.
- The Tigers would add five more to their score, Truly Dorland leading the way with a pair (5:19, 1:54) to help her reach a hat trick.
- Kamryn Lucero hit a buzzer-beating shot off a pass from keeper Clara Vulpisi to end the third. This put Pacific up, 15-3.
- Fitzgerald punched in her fourth goal of the match at the 7:19 mark. This would be a career-high for the sophomore attacker.
- Brianna Utas also snagged her first collegiate hat trick with just over a minute left to play (1:09). The freshman finished with three goals and one assist.
- Viktoria Szmodics filled up the stat board ending the contest with four goals, three assists, two steals, and one drawn exclusion.
- The Tigers scored five goals in each frame. Fitzgerald found the back end all four frames for UOP.
- Pacific played a clean game committing just five turnovers and tallying 13 assists.
- Clara Vulpisi got her first start in the cage. The Montréal, Canada native kept the Sunbirds at bay recording nine saves and allowing just three goals. She would also dish out two assists.